- Horses have binocular and monocular vision, which means they can focus both eyes on one thing, or use both eyes independently.
- Horse can’t vomit. Their biology doesn’t allow it; the muscles that close off the stomach are too strong.
- The French word for horse, cheval, is the root of the English word chivalry. To be horse-like.
- Horses have 26 muscles in each ear.
- A small indent on a horse’s skin is called a ‘prophet’s thumb mark’ – and is considered good luck.
- The oldest horse on record lived to be 62 years old.
- A 1,100 year old carving of an enormous horse is set into the side of a mountain in Westbury, England.
- ‘Flehmen’ is the term given to the face horses make when sniffing out a new smell that makes them look like they’re laughing.
- The horse’s closest relative is the rhino.
- There are 58 million horses in the world today.
What’s the Difference Between an Aussie and an American Barn?
What’s the difference?
Although both barns are made of three different segments, the centre segment of the American-style barn is raised, while the Australian-style barn is not.
American Style Barns
This style of barn has a raised centre, creating the space inside seem more open. The exterior looks more complex and interesting than an Australian style barn.
Australian style barns have a single roofline. They tend to look more simple and modest than an American-style barn. They are also often smaller, but can be built at any size.
READ MORE: Cost to build Sheds and Garages
READ MORE: Recent photos of our work
7 Clever Ideas for Horsey People
- Get a horse to take tablets from a syringe.
2. Cut a milk bottle into an all-purpose scoop for work around the barn.
3. Everybody struggles to get bell boots on. Use this trick to makes things a little easier.
4. Cool your horses down during warm weather with some giant ice cubes.
5. Use soap to stop your horse from chewing or cribbing.
6. Mark a length of your comb using a rubber band or hair tie for the perfect tail braiding.
7. Making clipping easier with some simple preparation.