- 1. Sheep at a second farm in North-West Victoria have died of anthrax, following similar occurrences on a Swan Hill farm. It has not yet spread to humans.
- 2. The majority of new farming debt is going towards expanding existing farms, sparking concerns that young farmers will find it difficult to break into the market.
- 3. Indoor farming is becoming increasing possible, with LED lighting costs dropping by 90 per cent and doubling their lifespan.
- 4. The Australian Bureau of Statistics estimates that by the end of this financial year, Australian farm production will hit a record gross value of $63.8 billion.
- 5. Glencore Grain hosted a three day tour for a Japanese liquor company looking to improve commercial relations with Australian grain exporters.
- 6. Entrepreneur-billionaire Elon Musk has said that he would consider building a 100 megawatt solar electricity farm in South Australia in 100 days, prompting the SA Premier and Prime Minister to scramble to accept the offer.
- 7. A Chinese company has claimed they are soon to purchase Australia’s biggest avocado farm for $192 million. The farm itself, however, has refuted the claims, saying they are still arrange sale and are still considering Australian buyers.
- 8. Leftover brewer’s grain used by major beer manufacturers is being fed to cows to increase milk productivity, also saving dairy farmers money.
- 9. More than 87% of Queensland is officially in drought, with warnings that circumstances are likely to worsen before being alleviated.
- 10. A series of Australian-style butchers are gaining popularity in China, with four shops already open & 16 more in planning. The stores import and sell 100 tonnes of Australian beef a month.
15 Easy, Clever ways to Reuse Old Horseshoes
Got an afternoon spare and some old horse shoes lying around?
We’ve collected some clever, easy-to-do projects that recycle horse shoes.
Although some require welding, many require nothing but nails & glue. See the photos below: