The emotional complexity of horses is an amazing & profound thing.
Below is a photo of Zindita, a mare that was due to give birth. Unfortunately, her baby was upside-down inside the womb, and when the birth took place, things went terribly wrong.
Zindita survived, but the baby did not.
Clearly distraught, Zindita struggled to recover after the event.
Nearby, veterinarians had gone through a similar experience, a foal’s mother had died whilst giving birth. They saw an opportunity and introduced the pair to each other.
Zindita became immediately protective of the foal, as you can see in the photo below.
But would they bond enough to stay together?
The photo above was taken hours after their meeting.
The photo below shows them weeks later. The pair got along excellently. Zindita looks after the foal as if it were her own and both mother and child are happy and healthy.
READ MORE: Mother refuses to leave her sick foal.
15 of the best George Morris Quotes
The best utterings of renowned coach and trainer George Morris:
– Distances are like men. Never take the first one you see, there will always be another one.
– Impulsion does not mean running forward. Impulsion means thinking forward.
– One you see a distance, I want you obsessive with straightness. If the horse drifts, he loses power and doesn’t use himself.
– Accuracy is better than speed.
– Every second, you’re either schooling or un-schooling your horse. There is no in-between.
– Don’t copy the people you ride against. You have to do better.
– Dressage is the basis. If there’s something off here, there will be something off with the jumping.
– I didn’t have talent, but I had great ambition. I still have ambition.
To find out how much an indoor arena costs, read our costings guide.
– It’s all about the horse and that’s it.
– It’s about the horse, how to care for the horse, how to ride the horse and how to look after this great animal – the horse.
– At first everything is hard, then it becomes easier, then habitual, and only now does it have a chance to become beautiful.
– Precision, repeat something over and over again, that’s how you get the precision habit. Some people think it’s boring. I don’t.
– This is not rocket science. You don’t have to reinvent the space shuttle, keep it simple.
– You will be rewarded for brilliance. Not reckless brilliance, but natural brilliance. Don’t be sheep.
– Function equals form and form equals function.
To find out how much an indoor arena costs, read our article.