Farming is known as a traditional form of producing food for the wider population’s sustenance. However as the human race has grown and evolved, so has farming. Here are three modern farming techniques that are reshaping the agricultural industry.
Sundrop Farms, South Australia
Sundrop farms is located in the arid salt plains of South Australia. Here a huge solar tower stands over 24,000 mirrors which produces thermal energy to power 20 hectres of adjoining glasshouses to grow tomatoes. About 350 tonnes of tomatoes are reaped from these glasshouses every week. This method of farming is extremely clean and sustainable, relying solely on solar power. Also it makes use of ground considered unfit for traditional methods of farming. As CEO Philipp Saumweber comments, “if you can farm successfully here, you can farm almost anywhere in the world.”
Bowery Farms, New Jersey
This method of farming takes industrialized farming to another level. Here vertical farming is practiced showcasing increased automation, reduced emissions and all round reduced costs. FarmOS is a software used to efficiently move water around plants, adapting new data to adjust environmental conditions to the warehouse. Trays of crop are stacked vertically and produced all year round. With these techniques the Bowery Farm company claim to have the capacity to grow 100 times more per square foot than other industrial farms.
Areoponics describes a method of farming by which plants are grown while being suspended in mid air. The way this crazy idea works is plants are suspended in a reservoir or something that can support the plant, but minimal contact is made with this device and the plant, making the plant 100% grown in air. The dangling roots are sprayed with nutrient-rich solution to ensure healthy growth. Nearly any plant can be grown using an aeroponics system.
The Top Ten New Stories in a Sentence
1. Rain affected towns in Victoria are holding council meetings to prepare for even more rain, with a band on the north east of the state set to hit again.
2. A review of lifestock farming has found that the biggest concerns for animal welfare are forcing premature births in dairy cows, docking heifers’ tails & mulesing sheep. They are looking to balance the benefits and risks of each.
3. A recent survey found that the 128,000 Australian farm businesses feed approximately 60 million people worldwide, including 24 million Australians. That a total of about 1% of the entire world being fed with Australian-farmed produce.
4. Contestants of the show Farmer Wants A Wife have said that the show ‘ruined their life’, with one farmer hospitalised after struggling to cope with the experience.
5. A bomb that went of in a rich New York neighbourhood, injuring 29 people, is being considered an ‘act of terror’ but has not been connected with ISIS.
6. Bourke, NSW has one of the highest rates of crime in Australia. To combat this problem, they are aiming to spend more money on community-building, rather than the prisons and correctional facilities that are most often employed to solve the problem.
7. The Port of Melbourne has been sold by the Victorian government for $9.7 billion – most of it will go towards improving public transport but $200 million will go to a rural jobs fund.
8. Calls have been made to ban the ATA 5-shot semi-automatic shotgun after a farmer suffered brain damage when his gun exploded sideways during routine shooting.
9. A Brisbane bug breeder is selling predator mites that kill smaller mites that damage strawberry crops and have an immunity to chemical pesticides.
10. A farmer in WA is using a drone that emits bird of prey noises from a speaker to scare birds away from his crops.
Solariums and chandeliers: A look at our most luxurious horse facility
Central Steel Build designs and constructs steel buildings. The fitting out is done separately by others.
Our buildings become a space for some of the most incredible facilities in Australia. This amazingly lavish horse arena was fitted with solariums, offices, viewing rooms and even chandeliers.
It’s a great example of what can be done if you have the time and money. For this project, the owners really decided on the best available for each option.
Let’s take a look at some of the finer details:
Wood grain panelling is the most expensive option for kickboards, but it also looks the best. The perimeter of this arena has been fitted with high quality wood and it looks great.
This is another real luxury that is certainly worth the effort. Putting a viewing room in your building that looks out onto the arena is a great idea. It’s also a good investment, and makes it easier for you to host events at your arena.
This building was full of high end facilities like solariums. They make the arena much more functional. One of the first questions that needs to be answered when building an arena is How will the arena be used? It’s all about making sure the functionality is there to meet your needs.
This is our favourite part! A lot of great design and interesting building techniques were used for this project. The building combines a traditional barn-style look with contemporary details. The use of wood and steel looks wonderful together and the light fittings and stone details add charm to the place.
This is certainly one of the most visually impressive projects we’ve built. It’s great working with a client who is so aware of how the building itself will be affected by the details and facilities that go into it. It’s a beautiful building.
To see more of our equestrian buildings, download the brochure at the top of our website.